My Thoughts On Dragon Quest: Your Story's Ending

My Thoughts On Dragon Quest: Your Story's Ending
Le film Dragon Quest : Your Story, en Trailer
Dragon Quest: Your Story is an animated movie that is based off of Dragon Quest 5 and is on Netflix right now. When it was released in both America and Japan the main point that has been hotly debated is the ending of the film. But a couple of things before we start. First, if you want to watch my full review of the movie, go ahead and check that out first. Secondly, spoiler warning if you have not seen this movie yet and don't want the plot twist and ending of the movie spoiled.
(This is your last warning!)
 
Dragon Quest: Your Story' Movie Review: Technically Impressive But ...
You've been warned. Okay so the climax and the whole final battle was one of my favorite parts of the movie, it's filled with epic battles and callbacks to way back at the beginning of the film. But, that's not the controversial part. That is immediately following. After Ladja is defeated, he says that his master is coming... then things get a bit weird! In the game we would be fighting the final boss, Nimzo, but they decided to change Nimzo up a bit.

As it turns this movie took place in a VR game all along where people who feel nostalgic of Dragon Quest can come and re-live their childhood fantasies. Also, Nimzo was programmed by a bored programmer  to mess around with the players. I love the detail of a bored programmer programming him into the game. One of the big complaints of the ending is that many feel that it came out of left field. But, if you watch it again, you'll actually see that there are quite a few hints throughout the movie hinting at it actually in a game. Like when some people say this time and  Luca is confused and is like, "This time?" It was also meant to be a bit of a shock, both for  Luca and us, because... its a plot twist. And the majority of the movie sticked vary closely to the plot of the game, so I can't blame them for wanting to do something different. To be fair, that's probably partly why the ending was so surprising. While it's not how I would have done the ending, I still thought it was pretty good. I also thought it was hilarious and kinda moving when the slime turned out to be the anti-virus and sacrificed himself for  Luca.
Netflix's Dragon Quest movie is a lovely journey with a stupid ...

Okay, so I actually really liked the ending, and here's why. Remember how I said in my review of the movie that the movie was a love letter to the fans. The ending was an amazing tribute to the fans. First off it's playing the ending theme of Dragon Quest 5, which is awesome and must be nostalgic for dragon quest fans. He talks about even though all that he went through was just a game, the time we spent with them was real. All the adventures, the battles, the sacrifices, everyone we met... everything is real to the players. This isn't  Luca's story, this is your story. We went through this stuff with the characters... and we will never forget them. That's what this ending says to me. I mean, I got nostalgic, and I've only ever played the Demo of Dragon Quest 11! I hadn't even heard of Dragon Quest a year ago! But this ending really hit home for me as a gamer, and I'm actually pretty sad that the ending is being hit so hard. And when you see what they were trying to do with this movie, I wouldn't have it end any other way. Thanks for taking a look!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soon to be President Shuntaro Furukawa Wants one Big Blockbuster

Rumor: Could Smash 5 have these Characters?

Nintendo Applied for N64 Tradmark. Signs for a N64 Classic?